Classic Caesar SaladCourse: SaladsCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
As much as it pains me to openly admit this, I am the only one in my household who really loves veggies. Generally speaking, the only way I can get everyone else on board with salad at dinnertime is to add croutons into the mix.
As such, this Caesar Salad is in our weekly rotation. It is a bit non-traditional, as there are no eggs or anchovy in the dressing. This makes it toddler friendly, but not vegan, because it does contain Worcestershire Sauce (which has anchovies as an ingredient). That said, the absence of whole anchovies or eggs by no means detracts from its deliciousness.
3 romaine lettuce hearts, washed and dried (currently obsessed with this COLLAPSIBLE salad spinner)
1 batch Eggless Caesar Dressing, recipe below
1/2 batch Herb and Parmesan Croutons, recipe below
1 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
freshly ground black pepper (preferably from a pepper mill)
- Eggless Caesar Ingredients
2 oz. fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp capers, drained
1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup grapeseed oil (or your preferred neutral flavored oil)
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
3/4 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Herb and Parmesan Croutons Ingredients
6 cups day old baguette, cubed
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan (or Pecorino)
3/4 tsp each, Basil, Oregano (or use 1 1-2 tsp Italian Seasoning)
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp season salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
- Slice romaine hearts into one inch pieces and place in a large bowl. Add 2 cups croutons to romaine. Add 1/2 cup salad dressing to bowl and toss salad using tongs. Add additional dressing as desired. Please don’t skimp. You need to coat each piece of lettuce thoroughly to ensure that cheese clings appropriately. Add 1/2 cup grated Parmesan and a few cranks of black pepper to bowl and toss. Plate salads and pass around additional dressing and cheese.
- Eggless Caesar Dressing Directions
- Combine all ingredients except oil, Kosher salt, and pepper in blender or food processor, and pulse until garlic is chunky and capers finely chopped. With motor running, drizzle in grapeseed oil, then olive oil, and season as desired.
- Crouton Directions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F) and cover a half sheet pan (18 x 13) with parchment paper or foil. Toss bread cubes with oil, then add in remaining ingredients except for Kosher Salt. Toss bread cubes to evenly distribute seasoning. Spread bread cubes into prepared pan and cook on middle rack for 7 minutes, keeping a close watch on croutons so they don’t burn. Remove pan from oven and toss croutons, turning the brown pieces over. Place pan back in oven for 5-6 minutes. Remove croutons from oven and taste for seasoning, adding Kosher Salt if necessary.