Roasted Beet and Broccoli SaladCourse: SaladsDifficulty: Easy
Beet and Broccoli is the combination you probably didn’t see coming (unrelated: I also love Beef and Broccoli, lol), but it’s a combination that pairs so beautifully both in flavor and texture. I love to serve this Beet and Broccoli Salad on a bed of Roasted Garlic Ricotta and lots of crusty bread. It’s a hearty and satisfying lunch for two or would also make a lovely appetizer.
1 medium head of broccoli (enough to yield 3 cups of florets)
3 medium beets
1 head of garlic
1/2 cup shelled pistachios (I prefer roasted and salted), coarsely chopped
2 tbsp fresh tarragon
12 oz. ricotta cheese
extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare roasted garlic: Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F). Cut 2 eight inch long pieces of foil. Cut garlic crosswise and drizzle cut side with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with a pinch of Kosher salt. Wrap garlic (close cut sides so garlic looks whole again) in one foil piece and again in the second (so it doesn’t leak). Place in oven for about 1 hour.
- Peel beets, halve them, then place on small sheet pan. Rub beets with a little olive oil and season with salt. Cover pan with foil and roast beets until tender, about 45 minutes.
- While beets/garlic cook, cut broccoli into 2 inch florets. Prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl halfway with ice and then enough water to fill the bowl 3/4 of the way. In a medium pot, bring 3 qts water and 2 tbsp Kosher salt to a boil. Once water boils, add broccoli and cook until it is bright green (should happen in less than a minute). Using a spider or strainer, remove broccoli and plunge into ice bath. Drain broccoli then place onto a plate lined with a few sheets of paper towel. Blot dry gently. Cut broccoli into 1/2 inch pieces and add to a medium bowl. Once beets and garlic are done cooking, allow to cool to room temperature. Dice beets into 1/2 inch pieces, and add to bowl with broccoli.
- Make dressing by whisking honey, Dijon, and balsamic together, then drizzle in olive oil. Season with Kosher salt and black pepper.
- Prepare Roasted Garlic Ricotta: Squeeze garlic cloves out of skins and add to a medium bowl. Add ricotta and 1 tbsp olive oil to bowl. Whisk to combine and season to taste with S&P.
- Assemble salad by combining broccoli florets, beets, tarragon and pistachios. Dress salad and toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread about 1 cup of ricotta mixture on platter and spoon beet and broccoli salad on top.