- 2 cups ROLLED oats
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp milk (any kind, dairy or plant based will work)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp melted butter, coconut oil, grapeseed or other neutral oil), plus 1 tsp for greasing dish
- 1/3-1/2 cup maple syrup, brown sugar, or granulated sugar (adjust quantity to determine how sweet you want it)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup applesauce OR Greek Yogurt OR mashed banana (usually I throw in the whole banana- totally works)
- 1 1/2 cups fruit, fresh or frozen (raspberries, blueberries, or chopped apple are my fave)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and move oven rack to lower middle position. Using 1 tsp of butter/oil, grease an 8 x 8 Pyrex dish (I use a paper towel to do this). Add oats directly into middle of Pyrex dish. Sprinkle sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt evenly over oats (so they don’t clump), then stir to combine thoroughly. In a glass measuring cup, lightly beat eggs, then whisk in milk, remaining oil/butter, and vanilla. Add applesauce and whisk to combine. Pour liquid into oat mixture and stir to combine. Add fruit and mix to combine. Allow to sit for about 15 minutes, mixing once or twice during the duration. Mix to combine one last time then place in oven. Bake for 35-45 minutes. 35 minutes will give you a softer texture (think bread pudding), and 45 minutes will give you firm, portable slices. Cool for 10 minutes in pan before cutting into 9 even squares.
Also, these reheat like a dream. You can reheat the whole pan by baking at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, or reheat individual pieces wrapped in tin foil or unwrapped on a sheet pan.